Monday, March 9, 2009

Dolling Up And Dressing Down - What's The Difference?

This is intended for all students in East York. Its purpose is to show that we obsess too much about hating the uniform when it is simply another pebble in the path called life.




Right after school at around 3:30 on Monday, March the 9th, 2009, Scarlett Roy was seen standing in front of her closet, tirelessly sifting through clothing as she stood in her frumpy East York uniform.

"Lettie hates her uniform," says Scarlett's mother, Mrs. Gwen Roy. "Everyday after I pick her up from school, she goes straight to her room and looks through her piles of clothing until she finds an outfit she likes and changes into it."

Mrs. Roy also describes how her young daughter will take hours in front of the white sliding doors of her closet putting things on and throwing them off after realizing they "didn't go". It wouldn't be long until shirt after shirt littered the floor, covering the nice blue carpet Mrs. Roy has just vacuumed.

"I swear she goes through at least five shirts before she finally decides on one, only to change it once she realizes the bottoms she wants to wear with it don't match." Scarlett's older brother, Donal Roy, states. "It's a good thing she's a neat freak, or else it'll look like a bomb went off in her closet."

To that, Scarlett Roy sends her brother a withering glare before going back to straightening the shirt she has just put on. The remains of her school uniform have been thrown haphazardly into the laundry basket where they will remain until the next morning.

When asked about why she goes through such a tiring routine day after school day, Scarlett replies, "I dress so sloppily in school that when I get home, I need to feel pretty again. So I always try my best to dress nice once I don't have to wear my uniform anymore. It's like... a release, y'know?"

For many of the therapists in the city of Toronto, whatever keeps you out of their office is a win-win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment