I was at the subway station earlier today and waiting for a friend of mine to show up when a group of teenagers gathers close by. I figure now is a good time to eavesdrop, so I shift a little closer and listen to the bizarre conversation they're having.
Guy 1: Don't even joke. I'd totally own you with my awesome bear strength.
Girl 1: Yeah? Well let's see if you can catch me first. And that's only if I don't use my awesome siren powers on you!
Guy 2: (to Girl 2) Oh god, not again.
Girl 2: Well that's what you get when you hang out with a bunch of role-players.
Girl 3: (squeezes in between Guy 2 and Girl 2 and motions to Guy 1 and Girl 1) I bet on the ceiling.
(All of them laugh.)
Needless to say, I didn't understand any of it. Who would? But with the way all of them reacted to Girl 3's comment, its pretty clear that the remark was an inside joke only known by the five of them. That made me think about inside jokes in general. I'm pretty sure that eavesdroppers listening in on an "inside joke" conversation will probably think those people are insane, or pretty close to it. But I'm sure that a lot of them don't realize they probably seem just as crazy when they start talking about inside jokes with their friends.
Then again, my group of friends are so random that sometimes I start to wonder if I'm missing out on an inside joke.
Michelle
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That could have been an alien conversation for all I know. My experience with inside jokes is that you are missing nothing. :)
ReplyDelete