Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You Are What You Eat

On Sunday I was in the Eaton Centre with a couple of friends, and we were in the food court on the first level. My friends wanted something to eat, but I wasn't hungry because I ate before we left. So I sat down at a table and waited for my friends to come back, and while I waited I heard a lot of people talking all at once. It was only then that I remembered the assignment I was supposed to do, and quickly tuned in to some of the conversations around me. Most of them were pretty boring and didn't inspire any thoughts at all, until I heard these two girls talking to each other about what they wanted to eat.

Girl 1: Pizza?
Girl 2: I had that last time. Let's get McDonald's!
Girl 1: Okay. I've been craving one of their burgers anyways.

Now I've indulged in the random fast food every now and then, but not often because my mom raised me to be this health freak that shouldn't eat a lot of oily and greasy foods. Of course that's not a bad thing, rather it's a really good thing! And I started to wonder about that one quote I hear every now and then (because lets face it people, what average person tells quotes constantly?) "You are what you eat."

Considering McDonald's is the most successful fast food business in the entire world, obviously everyone knows about that film "Supersize Me". I, myself, haven't watched it, but I know what its about. And we all know that most fast food restaurants have a lot of oil and grease in their foods, but my question is why do we still eat it? Why do we still eat all these foods that are bad for us and that we know are bad for us?

I think about this observation every now and then, and I can draw up a few answers that might suffice, but for the most part I'm drawing a complete blank. What about you?

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. People eat fast food because they were raised eating fast food, and it's convenient and available, e-very-where. The same can be said about drinking and drugs and smoking and inane movies. Mind boggling, no?

    ReplyDelete