This is intended for people no younger than a teenager. Its purpose is to show that sometimes your dreams will not come true. That some things are not meant to be.
A Dream Within A Dream
It shines like a beacon of light,
Glows as a tiny star.
Never gives up the fight,
And sets the difficulty at 'hard'.
The chase is its life,
Its love,
Its blood.
But it scorns the dull,
Weak, and
Void life afterwards.
So on and on it runs, always out of reach.
Baiting,
Taunting,
Tempting,
The ever foolish me.
"Come back, come back!" to the star I would cry.
"Catch me, catch me!" it would always reply.
It twinkled and sparkled, and even slowed down,
And for a second my hopes would rise again.
The star would get brighter,
And brighter,
And brighter!
Until I could feel the burning heat,
Like a lighter.
But then the warmth would disappear;
The star would zoom out of sight,
And I would left standing with no more light.
Then shadowed faces would appear,
Each with a sinister smile.
Voices would begin to speak,
Until I felt in my throat the rising of bile
"There's nothing to fear."
They would tell me,
"Just keep going!"
But now I know better,
I know the story.
People would tell me to reach for the stars,
Shout, "Persevere, persevere!"
Except they decide not to mention,
That none of it is real.
I wake in my bed, hair plastered to my skin,
Shakily clutching the covers in panic.
Dreams are just dreams,
And reality is just reality.
And so the star gleams,
With a daunting finality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like your poem, the words you use are so tantalizing. I do not know if it just me, but your poem feels more like a story to me. However, this only occurs in some parts, such as, "'Come back, come back!' to the star I would cry". Other parts it feels like poetry.
ReplyDeleteAnyways keep up the high-quality work, as always.
Love it! :)
ReplyDelete